Tin; Moscow, Russia
Krasny Oktjabrj, 1958
Chocolate became popular in Russia in the mid-19th century, just as the Krasny Okjabrj chocolate company was founded in 1851. Russia pioneered many chocolate innovations, like hidden prizes inside candies, wrappers that turned into puzzles, and packages that doubled as jewelry boxes. After the revolution of 1919, many ostentatious chocolate companies were shut down, but Krasny Okjabrj became “State Factory #1.” Chocolate packaging became much simpler and more utilitarian, but it continued to show beautiful imagery. This box from the 1950s shows Moscow’s Red square with the characteristic towers of Saint Basil’s Cathedral.