UIC Peace Project Spring 2016 – Calendar of Programs
Date(s) - Wednesday, February 3, 2016 - Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Presented by: UIC Centers for Cultural Understanding and Social Change
The UIC Peace Project is a year long initiative of the Centers for Cultural Understanding and Social Change (CCUSC). Together we are committed to catalyzing dialogue and shifting our language and actions toward peacemaking. All events are open to the public. Be part of our social media campaign by using #UICPeaceProject
- Feb 3-19 Join the UIC Latino Cultural Center and the Asian American Resource and Cultural Center in partnership with the Fearless Undocumented Alliance student group in a community art making project to create a collective art piece that will move around different public spaces to foster dialogue about everyday realities of undocumented people and immigrant communities in the U.S. Bring your creativity and radical imagination to paint with renowned muralist Maestro Hector Duarte. At the LCC Gallery – LCB2, times vary; Mon. 12pm–4pm; Wed. 10am–3pm; Thurs. 10am–1pm; Fri. 11am–2pm. For more info email@example.com 312-996-3095 or firstname.lastname@example.org 312-413-9569.
- March 10-11 In the spirit of UIC’s core values of freedom, equality and social justice for all, the CCUSC support members of our campus community in their expressions of our shared beliefs in the principles of free speech, peaceful demonstration and civil political discourse. Join us in these Art and Sign Making Drop-in Sessions! For more information and for accommodations please contact the hosting centers: • AACC – Addams Hall, 2nd floor: 3/10 from 1:30pm–4:30pm and 3/11 from 9:30am–12:30pm • GSC – Behavioral Science Building, room 181: 3/10 from 1pm–4pm and 3/11 from 10am-2pm • LCC – Lecture Center B2: 3/10 from 9am–1pm and 3/11 from 8:30am–11:30am
- April 7 Join the Women’s Leadership and Resource Center and the Gender and Sexuality Center for a screening of the groundbreaking web series, “Her Story” and a panel discussion with three of the stars and creators. “Her Story” is a 6-episode new-media series that looks inside the dating lives of trans & queer women as they navigate the intersections of desire & identity. Meet us at the JST Event Center from 4:30pm – 7pm. For more info email@example.com 312-413-1025 or firstname.lastname@example.org 312-413-3036.
- April 13 Join the African-American Cultural Center for screening and discussion of Old South: A Film by Danielle Beverly in which a white fraternity known for flying the Confederate flag moves into an historically black neighborhood. What starts with a neighborhood struggle over cultural legacies ends with the opening of a community garden, which becomes a physical and emotional space for healing, offering a sense of possibility and hope for the future. Join us in Addams Hall, 2nd floor, from 12pm–1:30pm. For more info email@example.com – 312-996-9549
- MAY 10 Join the CCUSC for our closing program “On the Table 2016”, an initiative of the Chicago Community Trust, to talk about how we can help unite the place we call home to lead change. The dialogue will be sparked by a moving mural titled “Awakening Hearts, Changing Lives.” Light lunch will be served. At the LCC – Lecture Center B2, 12pm–1:30pm. Please RSVP to Edith Tovar, firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited!
All audiences are welcome to join us at this event. Captioning, ASL Interpretation and Audio-Description services will be available upon request by contacting us.
Name: Edith Tovar
Phone: (312) 996-3095
Chicago Community Trust; and student organization Fearless Undocumented Alliance.
UIC Latino Cultural Center